17 August 2011

They are alive too!

I have been wondering if all the electronic appliances around us have their own spirit? No, I don't mean they are haunted, I mean they are like us, an object that houses an intangible soul, which has emotions and feelings. There were a few incidents that have happened, which has made me believe that every electronic appliances around us is actually 'alive'.

One very good instance is Bernard's car. After driving his first car, a Proton Satria for a few years, Bernard felt like it was time to change to a more spacious car. When he started to think about what car to change next, he met an accident on the same week itself, and his Satria was seriously damaged, leaving behind its lucky owner miraculously in one piece. Overly shocked, Bernard got himself a brand new Proton Waja immediately after that accident.

A few years later,  Bernard felt that it was time to change his car again, not because of being materialistic, but simply due to the very fact that Proton car just doesn't last long.

The main problem with his Waja was mainly the back suspension, where it constantly made noise every time the car turned, despite quite a number of visits to the mechanics. Since he had the thought to change his car, he excitedly discussed about the choices of his next car with me while we were in his Waja. Almost immediately, the Waja encountered more and more problems. The alarm system went off with no reason almost every day. Many times, he only found out the alarm went off when he returned to his car at the parking lot after work.  Meanwhile, things got worse with the car's windscreen as it started to mysteriouly crack 'by itself', each day growing longer in length. All these had strengthen Bernard's will to change the car. In less than 2 months, He got himself a brand new Honda.

To cut the story short, here are the summary of some other prominent examples:

a) A number of years ago, when I felt like getting a new phone, my mini O2's LCD screen cracked 'automatically' . In another case, my Nokia began to frequently shut down and restarted by itself, even though I was in the middle of a phone coversation.

b) The 'cheap' wall clock in my kitchen became dead a day after I happened to mention to Bernard about the intention to replace it with the elegant classic clock that we saw at the shopping complex. We tried to revive it by changing baterries, but it seems that it had decided to retire. 

c) Not too long ago, in my previous post, I wrote about my experience of how the power supply of the whole condo was cut off twice due to my silly action of plugging in a faulty multi cooker to the power point in my kitchen and dry yard. After that incident, the 2 respecteive power points began to be constantly having current even though the switches are turned off. I did not know how to repair them other than telling myself to be extra careful whenever I need to use those power points. The intention to get an electrician to come and check was in my mind, but I never did. To my surprise, the condition of the 2 power points miraculously 'self-healed' about after a month, without any external effort.

Conclusion
Electronic gadgets have feelings too. Lesson learnt from our experience are:

a) DO NOT discuss their deteriorating condition in front of them as they can be very sensitive. If they feel that they are no longer in favour by their owners, they will let go easily and decide to "commit suicide".

b)They also have self-healing power. They are able to cure their own minor 'illness', if you have faith in them and leave them alone.

c) They also need compliments like us. Praise them occasionally and they will serve you well. Our Honda has been faithfully serve us for the past 7 years (touch wood!). We make sure we do not complain about it in its presence. Bernard also routinely gives it some loving pats after each long distance journey.

Let me know if the same unexplainable incidents also happen to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment