22 May 2010

22 May NELSON - PICTON - WELLINGTON

Woke up at 6:45 am.  Today is the 2nd day of my menstrual cycle.  My tummy obviously was going through a very bad cramp that lead to weak feet and cold palms.  I felt relieved that this happened today.  I couldn't imagine what if it happens on the day that we have to hike up Franz Josef glacier.  I am a lucky person.

At 7:30 am, we had our breakfast in the last YHA of this trip, on our last day in New Zealand South Island.  Despite putting away quite a lot of left over food at the 'Free Food Corner' yesterday, we still have a 'buffet breakfast' this morning, which consisted of 1/2 loaf of bread, 3/4 pack of Weet Bix, 3/4 bottle of milk, 4 slices of cheese, 1/2 tub of table spread and 4 bananas.  We ate and ate and ate. Still, there was much to leave behind. 

Upon checking out, we have to carry our big trolley-luggage from our room at 2nd floor.  It was tough and of course with the cramp in my belly, Bernard had to perform his one man show here.  There is  no lift in most of the hostels, so make sure you really pack a light baggage should you opt for budget accommodation like us.  However, no matter how light is your luggage in the beginning of your trip, after a month of travelling, you will definitely accumulate some extra weight to your luggage. 

 Bye bye Nelson YHA


Luggage, oh! Luggage!

While Bernard was loading the heavy luggage into the car, I took a quick tour at Nelson's Saturday Market.  Of course, there was no more buying but just photo snapping.  This market was a very small version of Melbourne's Victoria Market.  There were some stalls that sell fresh vegetable, fruits, farm products and art works.  It was not crowded but you could tell that everyone, regardless the sellers or the buyers were enjoying a very cheerful and warm Saturday morning.  An Irish stall owner offered to take a photo for me and we chatted quite a while.  He was here to attend his daughter's wedding. However the volcanic ash in Iceland had been holding him from returning to Ireland. So, instead of wasting time by doing nothing, he got some goods from the wholesaler and started his own stall until his flight is confirmed. What a unique way to experience New Zealand! 

Nelson Saturday Market

On the dot of 9 am, we started our journey to Picton, the little town where we will return the car and boarded Interislander Ferry for Wellington.  During our short stay (less than 24 hrs ) in Nelson, this town has somehow gave us a good impression.  It is a beautiful town which was not too luxury nor too rustic.  Of course, Queenstown was still our number one ideal town but Nelson seemed to be more practical and real. Maybe I can say that Queenstown is a perfect lady but with high maintenance; while Nelson is an ordinary lady which an average guy can easily spend a simple yet comfortable life together with. Bernard and I had promised to come back here for Abel Tasman National Park and Marlborough Sound, which we did not manage to include in our itinerary this time. Probably before I turn 40 :)

A restaurant called Mussel Pot situated along the way from Nelson to Picton

Bernard started to feel stomach upset when we just past Rai Valley. There was no sign of toilet along the way.  I could not care much of him because the road was winding and my menstrual pain got worse.  Upon finishing the last piece of the pickled pineapple, I closed my eyes to escape from the reality.

My last piece of prickled pineapple in New Zealand.

Poor Bernard had to hold his nature call for almost an hour until we entered Picton.  We stopped at the 1st public toilet that we saw.  He rushed in while I took photos around the little village.  Before long, I felt stomach ache and I knew it was urgent.  I ran back to the one and only unisex toilet and urge Bernard to come out soonest possible.  He was very considerate and I soon have the chance to relieve myself.  Gosh, it must be the fault of milk and bananas of our big breakfast!
Little village in Picton
The toilet that saved our life.

It was an easy search to locate Omega Car Rental's warehouse in the heart of Picton.  Upon returning our car, we placed another booking of 3 day rental for our Auckland trip.  The friendly officer then sent us to the Interislander Ferry Terminal. 

Interislander Ferry Terminal
  
Even though it was just 12 pm and it was not that long after our big breakfast, we both felt hungry again after the magic of the Picton toilet.  I had a mushroom soup with toast while Bernard had a smoked salmon croissant at the cafeteria. 
Mushroom soup and toast
Salmon croissant

My physical health condition went down drastically after boarded to the gigantic Kaitaki Ferry.  It was clean, comfortable, luxury and not crowded. However, I felt nausea even before the ferry departed.  I could only quietly rest on the reclining seat at level 7 while Bernard went to the sun deck at level 10 to capture some pictures.  

Sun deck
Picton


And guess what, before long he ran back to me and yelled that he saw WHALE! I was so depressed because I missed the golden opportunity of my life! But my logical sense somehow reminded me that it was quite impossible to see whale. I immediately asked " are you sure you saw a whale?" . He paused for a few second and laughed out loud :" Ops, sorry, I think they were dolphins." Oh my goodness, what a joke! Anyway, it was still a lost for me. He took me up to the sun deck again hopefully I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the cute dolphins. But I couldn't stand long as the wind was too cold for me. I missed the dolphins and they never appear again.


What I did not see

On board Interislander
Kaitaki, Tasman Straits
22 May 2010
4:10 pm 

No comments:

Post a Comment