16 May 2010

16 May WANAKA

Going to toilet did not seem natural and easy anymore.  Since the past few days, I have been trying to sit on the toilet bowl with extra pressure put on my stomach, but there was always no 'good news'.  After drinking 4 packets of traditional herbal break free tea (通便茶), my constipation condition did not seem to resolve.  I think I have not been eating enough fibre especially those leafy green vege that I used to consume a lot back in Malaysia. Also, with the cold weather around, I seldom feel thirsty, so the intake of water was insufficient too. I have to remind myself to drink more.

We started our day by having toast with apricot jam, hot milo, fresh kiwi and prunes in Te Anau YHA's common dining room. 

After checking out at 9 am, we were on our way heading to Wanaka. I first drove from Te Anau to Kingston, then Bernard took over to drive to Cromwell, where we purchased a few bottles of Manuka honey. I volunteered to drive from Cromwell to Wanaka because I experienced motion sickness whenever I sit on the passenger side.


It was an easy drive all the way since the traffic was totally clear and the road was as straight as an arrow.  We chatted happily while listening to Echo of the Rainbow by Aarif Lee (李治廷).  Before long, I saw a police patrol car, which suddenly showed up from nowhere, and was flashing light towards us from the opposite lane.   I quickly looked at the velocity meter, 120 km/hr.  Opps, I knew I was in trouble. I prayed that the police car did not come after me.  But, there was no other car on the whole empty road. So, stop fooling yourself and behave!

The police car made a sharp U-turn and start chasing me! The ever calm and steady Bernard told me:"Pull over, just see what happens.  Don't be panic, it is just speeding. Just get the ticket and pay, get it over with." I truly did not want this to happen, I guess luck was just not with me this time. You tell me, who would ever strictly obey the speed limit stated on the sign board back in Malaysia, except on Penang Bridge? My heart was filled with tremendous remorse and guilt.  I stopped the car by the side of the road and wind down the window.  After the routine check of my driving liciense, the friendly police passed me a traffic ticket. His last word to me was: "take it easy and enjoy your holiday." I thanked him and quickly have a look on the ticket.  A fine of NZ$ 230!  What? A mere additional of  20 km/hr for maybe just a stretch of 2 km costed me RM 560? Bernard kept telling me it was ok, but his voice was just like echo in the wind as very soon I was pulled into deep remorse by the dark side in me.
A high price traffic ticket!

RM 560 is a lot of money to me! I started to relate what I could buy with RM 560, a few pairs of MNG and Mark and Spencer, many sessions of massage at Thai Odyssey, 4 sessions of facial at Cellnique, 2 bottles of Bvlgari perfume, many trolleys of groceries from Tesco, 56 times of solo visit to GSC cinema, and most importantly 1 session of AJ Hackett Bungy Jump that I have yet to experience! All gone just because of the little extra pressure from my elephant leg! But everyone else was speeding. Remember the red car that over took me yesterday? Why he could just get away? Bernard too was speeding sometimes, why me? I drowned, and drowned into the little hell of depression.  I also decided not to buy any souvenir (except the macademia nut that my mum wanted).  This was a promise that I have to keep in order to make myself feel better. 

We reached Wanaka finally. The first impression it gave me was NEAT.  Houses and buidings are neatly organized along the street. However, this town was obviously colder than other towns we have been to, but Tekapo is still on top of the list.  We went around the town after checking in at Purple Cow, another hostel under the YHA chain.  This is a modern and very presentable hostel. We were given an ensuite this time.  Hopefully, by having my own private toilet, the consitipation problem will be cured.
Wanaka Town
Purple Cow YHA
Our queen-sized bed
Luggage corner
Private toilet in the room
Common kitchen

The whole Wanaka town is built by the side of a huge lake, Lake Wanaka.  But I noticed both of us were less excited to see lake again, despite Lake Wanaka was also another remarkably beautiful lake.
Lake Wanaka

We had lunch at an Indian restaurant wishing to heat up our bodies with authentic Indian curry.  However, the curry turned out to be too mild and sweet.  I really missed my own kitchen at home.

Later that day, Bernard dropped by New World Supermarket to get some Bobby (the brand name) banana to rescue my frozen anus.  Hope it would reopen this time :)

Both of us were feeling very tired and soon fell asleep at 5pm.  By the time we woke up, it was already 8pm. What could be more convenient than having instant noodle with egg and brocolli for dinner at this hour? A bad day might as well ended with bad food. 

Let's quickly get over today.  A brand new tomorrow will be here soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment